Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|Special counsel got a search warrant for Twitter to turn over info on Trump’s account, documents say -Capitatum
Ethermac|Special counsel got a search warrant for Twitter to turn over info on Trump’s account, documents say
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:52:07
Special counsel Jack Smith’s team obtained a search warrant in January for records related to former President Donald Trump’s Twitter account,Ethermac and a judge levied a $350,000 fine on the company for a delay in complying, according to court documents released Wednesday.
The details were included in a decision from the federal appeals court in Washington rejecting Twitter’s claim that it should not have been held in contempt or sanctioned.
X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, sent an automated reply to a request for comment, saying it would respond soon.
The filing says prosecutors got the search warrant directing Twitter to produce information on Trump’s account after a court “found probable cause to search the Twitter account for evidence of criminal offenses.” The government also obtained a nondisclosure agreement prohibiting Twitter from disclosing the search warrant, the filing says.
The court found that disclosing the warrant could risk that Trump would “would seriously jeopardize the ongoing investigation” by giving him “an opportunity to destroy evidence, change patterns of behavior,” the filing says.
Twitter objected to the nondisclosure agreement, saying four days after the compliance deadline that it would not produce any of the account information, according to the ruling. The judges write that Twitter “did not question the validity of the search warrant” but argued that the nondisclosure agreement was a violation of the First Amendment and wanted the court to assess the legality of the agreement before it handed any information over.
Smith has charged Trump, in an indictment unsealed last week, with conspiring to subvert the will of voters and cling to power after he lost the 2020 election to Democrat Joe Biden. Trump, a Republican, has pleaded not guilty to charges including conspiracy to defraud the United States and obstruction of Congress’ certification of Biden’s win.
Trump says he is innocent and has portrayed the investigation as political motivated. His legal team has indicated it will argue that Trump was relying on the advice of lawyers around him in 2020 and had the right to challenge an election he believed was rigged.
Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
A spokesman for the special counsel’s office declined to comment on the warrant or what it sought.
veryGood! (8399)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Superbugs catch a ride on air pollution particles. Is that bad news for people?
- Canada announces public inquiry into whether China, Russia and others interfered in elections
- The 2023 CMA Awards Nominations Are Finally Here: See the List
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Bruce Springsteen postpones remaining September shows due to peptic ulcer
- Top workplaces: Here's your chance to be deemed one of the top workplaces in the U.S.
- Prince Harry Returns to London for WellChild Awards Ahead of Queen Elizabeth II's Death Anniversary
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Bethany Joy Lenz Details How She Escaped a Cult and Found Herself
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Special counsel intends to bring indictment against Hunter Biden by month's end
- Police comb the UK and put ports on alert for an escaped prison inmate awaiting terrorism trial
- District attorney in Georgia election case against Trump and others seeks protections for jurors
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Rollover school bus crash caught on doorbell video in Wisconsin
- Federal judge deals another serious blow to proposed copper-nickel mine on edge Minnesota wilderness
- Company pulls spicy One Chip Challenge from store shelves as Massachusetts investigates teen’s death
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Phoenix poised to break another heat record
NFL Week 1 announcers: TV broadcasting crews for every game on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN
Love Is Blind Season 5 Trailer Previews Bald Heads and Broken Engagements: Meet the New Cast
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Michigan State Police shoot, arrest suspect in torching of four of the agency’s cruisers
Bethany Joy Lenz Details How She Escaped a Cult and Found Herself
Suspect arrested in brutal attack and sexual assault of Wisconsin university student